State of the Headless CMS 2018
Six of the key findings taken from the survey conducted by Kentico in March and April 2018 among 986 CMS practitioners in 85 countries. Download the full survey below.
55% of respondents knew what a headless CMS was
Do you know what a headless CMS is?
- 55% - Yes
- 45% - No
86% of headless–CMS–savvy respondents were positive about the idea
What do you think of the headless CMS idea?
- 47% - I love the idea
- 39% - I like the idea, but it has its limitations
- 10% - I don't have a strong opinion about it
- 4% - I don't like the idea, I prefer a traditional CMS
29% of headless–CMS–savvy respondents were already using the approach and 38% planned to use it within the next 12 months
When do you plan to use a headless CMS?
- 29% - We are already using one
- +12% - In the next 3 months
- +13% - In the next 6 months
- +13% - In the next 12 months
- +15% - Later
- 18% - We do not plan to use it at all
Motivating factors: One place for content and higher flexibility
Why do you use or plan to use a headless CMS?
- 48% - One place for content for various applications
- 47% - Flexibility
- 44% - Building lightweight websites
- 35% - Speed of development
- 31% - Easy maintenance
- 21% - Ease of use
45% prefer the cloud for hosting their sites and applications
Where do you host your websites and/or applications?
- 20% - In a private cloud
- 13% - In a public cloud using a PaaS model
- 12% - In a public cloud using a IaaS model
- 44% - On our own servers
- 9% - I do not know
63% prefer a self-hosted open-source model for headless CMS
Which of the headless CMS models do you prefer?
- 63% - An open source headless CMS hosted by myself
- 14% - A SaaS headless CMS completely managed by the vendor
- 11% - An open source headless CMS hosted by the vendor
- 12% - I do not know